Steve Knox, Knox Marine’s founder, has a unique combination of skills that make him an excellent witness. His engineering education is well rounded; he is versed in several disciplines. Knox has performed thousands of damage surveys, so he has seen what works in boats and what causes problems. His strongest attribute as a witness, though, is his ability to explain technical subjects to a non-technical audience. His technical writing demonstrates his wide range of expertise and his ability to teach. Not only does Knox look good on paper, he brings unique skills to investigations and appearances.
His cases have included:
- Product liability, analysis of manufacturing defects and failures
- Yacht appraisals (with a specialty in diminution of value claims)
- Boat operations, standard of care, Rules of the Road
- Boatyard operations, standard of care
- Damage to boats while being hauled
- Sinking – cause and origin
- Falls overboard
- Falls within a boat
- Loss of control accidents, some with subsequent ejection
Steve has offered expert testimony in the following courts:
United States District Court– Norfolk, Virginia; Newport News, Virginia; Baltimore, Maryland; Washington DC; North Carolina; Tampa, Florida
State courts – Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Ohio
Highlights of qualification and experience:
- Principal in Knox Marine since 1987.
- BS in Nuclear Engineering, Registered Professional Engineer (Emiritus) in Virginia.
- Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS), Charter Member, 1987 (AMS).
- American Society of Appraisers (ASA). Accredited Senior Appraiser since 1999. One of five accredited yacht appraisers in the United States.
- International Association of Marine Investigators. Member since 1991. Certified Marine Investigator.
- American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) – Member since 1987. Technical Board 1992 – 1999. Past Chair of the Technical Board. Member of several Project Technical Committees. Past Chair, Product Interface Committee. Wrote several new standards, reviewed and revised many.