Knox Marine Consultants investigates boating accidents and provides damage surveys and litigation
support for marine claims. They also offer training programs for underwriters,
adjusters, and marine surveyors.
Steve Knox founded the company in 1987. Since then, the firm has become one of the premier
marine surveying firms in the United States. Knox Marine's accident investigations have been conducted in faraway places like; Halifax, Key West, Michigan, Athens, Greece, and many locations between. Although Knox Marine's annual Yacht Claims Conference is held in Florida, Steve Knox has taught all over the country.
Knox, is a writer whose work has appeared in Yachting, SAIL, Cruising World, National Fisherman,
Work Boat, and several regional publications. Almost all his writings
are technical in nature — how-it-works or how-to-do it articles. His columns won The
Boating Writer's International Award for Best Technical Writing in 2000
and Second Place for Boat/Engine Care and Maintenance in 2001.
Knox Marine’s headquarters is located in Charleston, SC, with offices in Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia as well as St. Augustine, FL to provide damage surveys for our insurance company clients.
Steve Knox, P.E.
Steve Knox has broad experience in boat design, repair, and survey:
- Engineering degree, 1974, Registered Professional Engineer.
- Tour of duty on USN submarine, 1974-1979, including one year in overhaul. Qualified Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Engineering Officer of the Watch.
- Worked at J.J. Henry, a large naval architecture office, 1979-1983, as Design Engineer and Project Manager.
- Experience in vessel repair and overhaul as Production Superintendent at Associated Naval Architects, a repair shipyard, 1983-1987.
- Principal in Knox Marine Consultants, a marine survey firm, 1987-present.
- Freelance writer: Yachting, SAIL, Cruising World, Chesapeake Bay, National Fisherman, Work Boat, regional publications.
National Association of Marine Surveyors (NAMS) - National Technical Vice President, 1991-1995.
Certified Marine Surveyor since 1989.
Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors (SAMS) - Accredited Marine Surveyor, Charter Member, 1987.
American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) - Technical Board of Directors, 1992-1999.
Chairman of the Technical Board (formerly known as Technical Vice
President) 1997-1999. Member since 1987.
American Society of Appraisers (ASA). Accredited Senior Appraiser. Member since 1995.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME). Member since 1979.
International Association of Marine Investigators. Member since 1991. Certified Marine Investigator.
National Fire Protection Association. Member.
- Numerous stories
in yachting and commercial boating magazines: National Fisherman, Work Boat, Yachting, SAIL, Cruising World, regional publications.
- Seminar bookletsfor the following classes: Adjusting Boat Claims, Adjusting Claims
on Large Boats, Boat Basics, Boat Collision Investigation, Business
of Marine Surveying, Fiberglass Repairs, Fraud and Theft Investigation,
Inboard Engine Claims, Inspection of Fiberglass T-Boats, Outboard Engine
and Sterndrive Claims, Rules of the Road.
- Best Technical Writing Award - Boating Writers International, 2000. Second Place Award,
Boat/Engine Care and Maintenance 2001.
- BS in Nuclear Engineering, Texas A&M University, May 1974, graduated
with high honors. Electives in mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Courses in business and management.
- Continuing education seminars in the marine field.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Virginia.
- Teaches on a regular basis.
- Aircraft Pilot (Private Pilot Certificate with Instrument Rating. Ratings for single
engine land and single engine sea).
- Published photographer and writer.
Home | Company Profile | Services | Training | Contact Us